I’m a huge fan of spices and flavor and when it comes to a dish like this it’s jam packed! Garam masala is one of my most favorite spice blends, fragrant and flavorful. Typically Butter Chicken is loaded up with heavy cream, but I like to lighten up dishes when possible. There is a touch of heavy cream in this but it’s offset with some 1% milk and fat free green yogurt and considering the flavors for this really rely on the spices – less heavy cream isn’t a problem. Serve this up with a side of chana masala (recipe soon) and some cumin basmati rice toss in some Naan and you’ve got yourself an amazing meal!
Here are links to 2 great Naan bread recipes.
Lightened Up Butter Chicken
Servings – 4 to 6 depending on how much you serve up
- 1 – 1.25 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast (we all know that they never come in the exact amounts we usually want) cut up into 1 inch cubes
- Marinade for Chicken
- 1/2 cup non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp Garam Masala (I’ve found that I like mixes that have no salt in them)
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Rest of ingredients for recipe
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2/3 cup onions, diced
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup 1% milk
- 1/3 cup non fat Greek yogurt
- Mix together the marinade ingredients and toss the chicken. Mix well, the marinade is quite thick. Marinade at least one hour to over night.
- When ready to cook, melt the butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Once melted add the onions and saute until translucent.
- Add the chicken (just dump everything into the pan including the marinade – which is pretty well stuck to the chicken anyways). Cook chicken until done, turning chicken as needed. It cooks relatively fast, you’ll be able to tell when it’s does as when you press down on the chicken it will break apart relatively easily.
- Once chicken is cooked add tomatoes and salt and simmer till slightly reduce.
- Mix the heavy cream, milk, and dairy together in a bowl then add to the pan and mix well. Still till everything is heated through.
- Serve and enjoy!