There is something about that rice you get when you go to Mexican Restaurants. It’s flavorful, not dry, and adds amazing depth to what ever dish you’re eating. I wanted to recreate that at home and since I’m now a die hard fan of rice in the Instant Pot, and never again on the stove, yup, I made a version in my Instant Pot. First bite impressions – yup, this is it!!!
I have not tried this on the stove, but I’m betting it would be pretty easy to convert it over. You’d want to saute the onion separately then toss everything together and cook until rice is done would be my guess, but I have not tried that yet.
Instant Pot Mexican Rice
Servings – 4
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Press the saute button on the Instant Pot, add oil, when oil is hot add onions.
- Saute onions until translucent, add garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- Add everything and mix well.
- Place on the lid, make sure the valve on the lid is closed, press the rice button.
- Once the rice setting is done, let it natural pressure release for 5 minutes. Release remaining pressure carefully.
- Serve and enjoy!