Swedish Meatballs are total comfort food. Usually they come in the form of high fat ground beef and heavy cream, but you can make them just as tasty and much lighter! A combo of low fat ground beef and lean ground turkey along with reduced fat cream cheese and sour cream, and you won’t miss the heavy cream. Trust me on this. Serve this over egg noodles, mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower (you know that lower carb healthier route that I haven’t tried yet), or what ever tickles your fancy.
Lightened Up Swedish Meatballs
Servings – 4 (4 meatballs per person)
- 1/2 lb 93% fat free ground turkey
- 1/2 lb 93% fat free ground beef
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1/4 minced onion
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutment
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth (we like Better then Bouillon since we can make how much we needed)
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp worcestershire
- Mix the turkey, ground beef, celery, onion, parsley, garlic, all spice, nutmeg, egg, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper in a bowl. Divide to make 16 meatballs (Somewhere between 1.4 to 1.5 ounces each if you want to be technical. I have kitchen scale and weighed the mix before dividing to figure out how much each meatball should weight so that I had somewhat even sized meatballs)
- Add 2 tsp olive oil to a large pan (make sure it’s one that you can put a lid on), once shimmering, add meatballs and sear on all sides till brown. Remember brown is flavor! They don’t have to be cooked all the way through, but this is to get them started in the right direction as well as to add flavor.
- Once the meatballs have browned, at the 2 1/2 cups of beef broth. Place lid on pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, removed the meatballs and put on a plate off to the side. Scoop out about 1/2 cup of hot broth and whisk in the flour until no clumps remain, add this back to the pan along with the sour cream, cream cheese, dijon mustard, and worcestershire. Simmer till thickened. Add back meatballs and heat through.
- Serve over your favorite base and enjoy!