Tater tots, from scratch, that you can also freeze while controlling how much sodium goes in them? Sign this Sprout up! While pre-made tater tots are easy and fast, I have this thing for making things from scratch, I’m just that kind of person, and these were even better than those frozen pre-made tots! Honestly, who can argue with a good tater tot? Lightly seasoned, “fried” in the air fryer, and exceptionally crispy on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside.
You can cook these fresh or from frozen, both ways work great!
Air Fryer Tater Tots
Servings – 6
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Canola oil spray
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil (you can add salt to the water if you wish, the salt in the ingredient list is added to the potatoes after cooking). Add potatoes and cook till soft about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and allow to cool till you can handle them.
- Using the large holes on a grater, grate the potato into a large bowl.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper to the grated potatoes mixing well.
- Scoop the potato mixture in 1/2 Tbsp amounts and gently roll into tater tot shapes.
- At this point you have 2 options
- Preheat your air fryer to 400F, spray your tater tots with canola spray, and cook for 15-18 minutes until crispy and browned.
- Place shaped uncooked and not sprayed tots onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or wax paper, freeze until solid, and store in a freezer bag. You can cook from frozen. Preheat air fryer to 400F, spray frozen tots with canola spray, cook 15-18 minutes until crispy and browned. NOTE: We noticed they seemed to cook faster from frozen for some odd reason, you’re experience might be different.