I think everyone loves a good french fry but when you want to cut back on the grease and oil, air fryer fries are a great alternative. Today’s post covers both russet fries & sweet potato fries. Some steps are the same, some are a bit different, but the methods I’m going to tell you about are the absolute best way to get crunchy tasty air fryer fries.
This will work in any type of air fryer, I have both a large 10 qt with a rotating basket and a 5.8 qt with the normal tray basket, and this has worked in both.
The big difference between russet fries and the sweet potato fries is soaking the russets to get out the extra starch. I’ve tried soaking the sweet potato fries and found it works better without soaking.
Air Fryer Fries (Russet & Sweet Potato)
Servings – We eat the entire thing in one sitting and there are 2 of us.
- 2 medium russets or 1 large sweet potato cut into 1/4″ thick slices (we recommend just a titch smaller for the sweet potato fries since they are much denser then the russets) We peel the sweet potato but we don’t peel the russets, you can if you don’t want the skin on.
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- Dipping Sauces
- For the RUSSET fries only: Place cut potato into a large bowl and rinse with cold water, drain, and refill bowl with fresh cold water. Let sit on the counter for 30 minutes, drain, refill bowl with fresh cold water and let sit for another 10 minutes. Drain the water and using paper towels or clean kitchen towels, pat the fries dry. I know it seems like a lot of steps but I found this to be the best way to get them crispy.
- Preheat air fryer to 400F
- For both types: place in a bowl or use a ziplock bag, toss the fries with the canola oil first. Once the fries are fully coated in oil, add the cornstarch and toss until evenly distributed. We have found that the ziplock bag is the much easier method for mixing.
- Place fries in your air fryers basket. If you have one that rotates, awesome, otherwise if you are using one without a rotating basket, you’ll want to shake them about every 5 minutes or so.
- Cook russet fries 15-18 minutes and sweet potato fries 20-22 minutes. If you have thicker cut fries it will take longer.
- Enjoy! I’ve included a link in the ingredient list with our favorite fry dipping sauces.
1 thought on “Air Fryer Fries”