I’ll be honest, I have a thing for cheese. I love cheese and cheese stuffed mushrooms are bomb! Our local grocery store sells stuffed mushrooms that you can go home and cook and they were always fabulous. Of course I haven’t had them in years and I also have this thing for making things from scratch. Since we were grilled steak, it seemed a perfect time to figure out a grilled stuffed mushroom recipe. I am confident in saying…nailed it!
You’ve probably heard people take about umami – that savory flavor that makes food extra yum. I used baby bella mushrooms for this recipe and that umami flavor that comes from them being grilled is amazing. I did not try this with white button mushrooms, but I figure you could use them, it would just be a slightly different flavor.
When I was prepping the mushrooms, I also trimmed them out a bit and removed some of the gills to make more room for the filling. Of course I totally forgot to take a picture of the mushrooms before filling to show you, but you probably will get the idea when you look at the mushrooms.
Here’s a quick pic of them before cooking. You can kind of see some of how I trimmed them up to make more space.
Even with the different sizes, I kept the cooking time the same and didn’t have any issues. Cheesy stuffed mushrooms for the win!
Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms
Servings – We managed to kill the entire batch between just 2 of us, so it really depends on how many you want to eat in a go. I know healthy right?
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, stems removed, and trimmed if needed (depending on the size of your mushrooms you may have enough filling to fill more then 8 oz)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (we used the 1/3 less fat cream cheese which is already pretty soft and makes for easy mixing. If you use regular cream cheese you’ll want to leave it out to soften a bit since it will be much harder to mix straight from the refrigerator)
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar (we shredded our own since it’s more melty then pre-shredded)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms, clean with cold water, and trim if needed to allow for more stuffing
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and stuff the mushrooms with the cheesy goodness.
- Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil and place on pre-heated grill for approximately 7 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked through and cheesy is melty. I placed the tray on the upper shelf of the gas grill we typically use. If you don’t have an upper shelf to place them on and go directly on the grill (gas or charcoal) it might take less time since it’s direct heat. I know, so technical right? Also I haven’t tried these in the oven, if you do let me know how they turn out.