Okay as you already know my pictures usually aren’t the best because by the time we’re down cooking the sun is down and my kitchen lighting needs a serious upgrade. Also, it’s really hard to take a good picture of meatloaf. However, that being said, this meatloaf was knock your socks off amazing! I grew up eating my Dad’s meatloaf and that was good, but I did my own version and well, I think my Dad would be pretty proud. The meatloaf might look a bit orange, because there’s a secret ingredient in it that helps it stay extra moist….grated carrot! We also tossed in some shredded cheddar, because well you know…cheese.
This came out super moist, reheated fabulously, and I’m really tickled just how well this came out. I hope you’ll give it a go!
The Garden Sprouts Not Your Momma’s Meatloaf
Servings – Depending on how big you cut your slice, we had 6 but you could certainly get 8 out of this.
- 1.3 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 lb ground beef (we used 93% lean, but use what you have and/or like)
- 1/3 cup ketchup + 3 Tbsp for glaze
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3 gloves of garlic minced (3 is more typical for most recipes, but we like garlic, so we used 6, we aren’t judging if you only use 3….but you know garlic!)
- 4 oz cheddar cheese shredded (I prefer to grate block cheese since it’s more melty then the pre-shredded stuff, but you what you’ve got!)
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- Non-stick spray
- Pre-heat over to 350F
- Mix everything together in a large bowl making sure everything is mixed well.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray or lightly grease with either canola or olive oil
- Place mix into loaf pan and place in oven. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- After the initial cooking time, spread the remaining 3 Tbsp of ketchup over the top and place back in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- After the glaze time, remove from oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut, serve, and enjoy!