If you haven’t noticed, I’m a fan of the air fryer. You’re completely shocked I know. I have 2 (then again I also have 2 Instant Pots, I’m nutty like that) – one is 5.8 quart and the other is a 10 quart. Honestly I have used both at the same time, but usually resort to the bigger one most of the time. It also has a rotisserie and basket that’s pretty awesome. I’m trial running a new air fryer fry recipe that I did on Thursday with the Rachel sandwiches. They got really crispy and I want to compare if there are any differences between the 2 air fryers when cooking them. The Rachel sandwiches came out fantastic and I really like the Thousand Island dressing recipe I came up with, tangy and creamy without being overly heavy like some commercial versions. Those recipes to come in the future.
On to more important things….the recipe. This air fryer breaded shrimp recipe is pretty dang easy and the air fryer makes them crispy without being loaded from being dropped into hot oil. I was really happy how these came out, so much so that next week’s meal plan includes Air Fryer Shrimp Po Boys with Remoulade. I made a remoulade recipe awhile back and I’m going to tweak it a bit for this go around, but it’s definitely close.
Air Fryer Breaded Shrimp
Servings – 2 (honestly it could be more or less depending on how much you like shrimp)
- 1/2 lb of medium size shrimp (we had the 21-30 count size)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- 1/8 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- Oil spray
You’ll need three separate dishes for this recipe
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- In one dish, mix the flour, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and black pepper.
- Whisk the egg in a second dish
- Mix the breadcrumbs in the final dish.
- Order of operation – dip the shrimp in the flour mixture, followed by the egg, and finally into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Spray both sides of the shrimp with your choice of oil spray (we used canola)
- Place in air fryer once heated and cook for ~7 minutes until fully cooked through. (I found I didn’t need to flip these halfway through as is often recommended, I did stop and shake the tray once during cooking to ensure they weren’t sticking).
NOTE: There was enough mix leftover that we could have breaded a few extra shrimp, but you might need an extra egg.