I wanted this to be an easy and quick method for making a tasty, not dry, easy salmon burger. There is no having to cook salmon for this recipe – all you need is a 6 ounce can of salmon. You can use dried dill and chives in this, but I highly recommend fresh since it’s so much more flavorful, especially the chives. Dried chives just don’t really compare with fresh. As a bonus, both are easy to grow herbs, both are in my garden as we speak. It was nice to be able to walk into the backyard, cut what I needed and head back to the kitchen. Do plan ahead a bit as the mix does need to rest in the refrigerator to allow the breadcrumbs to absorb moisture so they stick together. Other then that, they cook quickly in a pan on the stove. When it came to measuring the chives, I just took a bundle that looked to provide me enough flavor, you can adjust to your taste, but this is a picture of how much chives I used for this recipe.
It doesn’t take a lot to add flavor, you could definitely add a few more then this and it would still be absolutely tasty! Too few chives and the dill will over power the flavor, so do keep that in mind if you decided to make adjustments.
Salmon Dill Burger
Servings – 2 burgers
- 1 – 6 ounce can of salmond
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 1/4- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, cover and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Form the mix into 2 patties. FYI This mix can feel really sticky, but it will work out.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add the olive oil and butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the patties to the pan and cook until golden brown on each size about 5 minutes per side, it may take more or less time depending on how hot your burner is running as well as what kind of pan you are using. Keep in mind, the salmon from the can is already cooked, so you’re wanting to go for golden brown and heated well all the way through.
- Serve as desired! We kept it simple with a burger bun, mayo, and lettuce.