The other week we had Rachel sandwiches which is just the turkey version of a Ruben. One of the shining stars though for either versions is Thousand Island Dressing which is hands down my all time favorite ever since I was a little kid. So of course it made sense to make our own version. The sandwiches were fantastic and the Thousand Island makes fantastic veggie dip too!
Thousand Island Dressing
Servings: All depends on how much you use in a sitting. There’s a little over 1.25 cups of dressing with this recipe and often I see references of 2 Tbsp per serving.
- 1 cup mayo (we used reduce fat Hellman’s Mayo)
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp sweet relish
- 2 tsp minced red onion
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Mix everything together and put in refrigerator for an hour to let the flavors mingle.
Servings: 2 sandwiches
- 1/2 lb deli turkey
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- Thousand Island Dressing
- Butter (we use Brummel & Brown)
- Slather butter on the outsides of each piece of bread
- Slather thousand island dressing on the inside of each piece of bread.
- Layer turkey, sauerkraut, swiss cheese on top of the side with thousand island and place the other piece of bread on top (thousand island facing in)
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat, once the pan is hot, place the sandwiches. Heat until bread is toasted, cheese is melted, and everything is heated through.